Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bacon and Cilantro Potato Salad

This "recipe" was introduced to me by a good friend, Doug Roode. As you can tell by the recipe, it is not so much a recipe. I have tried my hand at it once, and I will tell you, it was AWESOME. Only thing I can say is be careful with the cilantro as it is easy to get a little heavy-handed with it.

Potatoes - as many as you need. Usually I use red with the skins left on. I chop them into small pieces and coat them in olive oil, minced garlic (like in the jar from the produce section) and some sea salt and pepper. Then I roast them in the oven until golden brown. I admit, that I cheated on the one you had at Tracy's and used pre-cut "Hash brown" style frozen potatoes from the freezer section of the grocery store. It eliminated the cutting etc because I was rushed.

While the potatoes are cooking - Chop and fry a pound of thick cut bacon until crispy... remove bacon to a paper towel to sit and crisp - reserve the grease in the pan.

Add to the rendered bacon fat 1-2 sweet onions very thinly chopped and cook until caramelized. I also add about a tbsp of sugar to the onion to help sweeten them and get a really nice rich brown color.

In a food processor combine 1 bunch of fresh cilantro, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and additional garlic (if desired) and whip together until the cilantro is finely chopped and incorporated into the mayo. Add the bacon, onion and renderings from the pan and pulse a few times to incorporate it as well.

At this point I play with the seasoning (add a little more sugar, salt, etc to alter the taste slightly) It is best if this can be done the day before and let the whole thing hang out over night so the flavors have a chance to hang out, mingle, and get to know each other a bit before it is served, but it is still good with minimal mingling time.

No comments:

Post a Comment